Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering at New Hope Housing! Volunteers are critical in working to end homelessness in our community. We are grateful to you for your support. We have recently updated our volunteer policies in light of changes to CDC guidance and prevalence of vaccinations.
UPDATE: April 1, 2022 – Onsite Volunteering Resumed
April 1st marked the beginning of Global Volunteer Month and we’re grateful and excited to welcome YOU back onsite! With the end of the hypothermia prevention season and with reduced COVID case counts in Northern Virginia, we are eager to have volunteers back volunteering at our shelters. HUGE thanks to all of you who continued to serve remotely, providing thousands of meals over this winter.
We’re continuing to require updated COVID vaccinations for all volunteers and requiring wearing masks onsite for the safety of everyone.
Onsite volunteer opportunities are now available at the Kennedy Shelter, Bailey’s Shelter and Supportive Housing, and the RPC Shelter in Arlington. Currently groups that work inside a building will be limited to no more than 4 individuals. Groups that are working outside on yard projects or similar activities will not have these limits.
We continue to need meals and bagged lunches. If you are signed up to prepare and drop-off hot meals or to prepare and drop off begged lunches – thank you! – and we hope you can continue to do so. We welcome new volunteers for these activities as well.
We are asking that volunteers do the following to serve on-site with New Hope Housing:
- Confirm that they are fully vaccinated (we will not be making copies of vaccination cards, simply asking that volunteers confirm with us)
- Attend a virtual training for orientation
- Schedule service ahead of time via VICNet (no day of drop ins)
- Check in at the front desk, follow current CDC protocol in place at shelters (temp and symptoms check), and sign in to VICTouch
- Wear a face covering and volunteer identification while in the shelter and social distance as needed
- Log out of the shelter using VICTouch at the end of service
Thank you for your service! In these difficult days, your care and concern mean a lot to us.
If you have any questions, please contact Sharon Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-799-2293 ext. 11.