Our volunteers are wonderful people who give their hands and hearts to help others in need! Volunteers are essential to our work and for making New Hope Housing a place of hope and hospitality. Each year over 600 individuals provide volunteer services totaling more than 18,000 hours supporting the work of New Hope Housing. The opportunities for volunteer service are varied–group and individual projects, one-time projects, and scheduled ongoing services are all possible. Some of the ways that volunteers can help include:
Working with children:
- Tutor a child in family programs.
- Plan special events/activities for families.
- Help with children’s activities while parents are in life skills classes.
Working with adult residents:
- Assist residents with job searches & resume writing
- Teach a short-term or one-time class on a subject of interest
- Tutor residents in basic math, English, or computer skills
- Organize a special recreational activity for adult shelter residents
Working with shelter or post-shelter housing operations:
- Assist in the kitchen with meals (Kennedy Shelter)
- Provide a meal for 10 at one of the smaller adult shelters (Alexandria, Falls Church, and Arlington locations)
- Use your handyman skills to help with repairs & renovations
- Help with landscaping and yard maintenance
Group service projects are a great way to involve your co-workers, faith group or community organization in team-building through volunteer service.
For information on current volunteer needs and opportunities, check the Current Volunteer Needs. Or, for more information, or to discuss a team project, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Samantha Smyth at 703-799-2293, ext. 11, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to become a volunteer, click here: